This book is called Wacky Baby Knits, and on the cover it says “20 Knitted Designs for the Fashion Conscious Toddler”. It also has a baby wearing a cow costume on the cover… Fashion conscious? Not so much. Really freaking cute patterns? Oh yes! I usually like to thumb through my knitting books at the store to see what they offer, but I didn’t do that with this one. I picked it up from Amazon while I was visiting my Mom in Georgia. It was on sale for just over 6 bucks, and claimed to have a pattern for a Red Riding Hood. I was intrigued.
When I got home and flipped through the book I was not disappointed. It looked well written and organized very clearly. Plus only 2 sizes of needles are used throughout the entire book! How cool! I had picked up a skein of red yarn while I was in Georgia for a project I then decided I didn’t want to bother with, so I sought out this Red Riding Hood pattern.
My attention was drawn immediately to the hood. I could tell from the photo in the book that the direction of the stitches turns 90 degrees at least twice. I( had no idea how to do that, and could only assume that the different pieces were knitted separately and later sewn together. I didn’t really care how it was done though, I would get to it. I just dove into the project, starting with the back piece. It took me forever. It’s long, but I finally finished it, and the front piece didn’t seem so daunting, even though it was only a few inches shorter.
I had a feeling this project would teach me a thing or two, and I was right! The first new thing I did was to put two pieces on my needles and knit them both at the same time. I didn’t save any time by knitting both sleeves at once, but I did make sure that they matched. This is something I will absolutely do in the future. (Actually I did it again this afternoon with a pair of booties!) The next thing I learned snuck up on me when I got to the hood. The directions said to “pick up and knit” along the opening in the front panel. Do what now? There is nothing there, it’s all the edge of the piece. I almost gave up, but then i remember YOUTUBE!!!
I searched the term and came up with a lot of videos for picking up dropped stitches, but I found a few for what I needed. I settled on one by Verypink Knits called Knitting Help – Pick up and Knit. I had to watch it a couple times to get it, but I figured it out and was able to get my hood started! From there is was easy. Another 8 inches for the hood and then sew it all together. I haven’t finished the trim on the hood yet because I need to pick up a size 3 circular needle, but that part won’t take long at all. The only problem I ran into was with the hood. It looked like the pattern wanted me to put all the stitched for the hood on straight needles, and there was just no was that would work. I used a set of size 6 double points for it, but I think a circular would have been just a little easier. I am really excited about this project, it is definitely one of the more difficult things I have done, probably the most difficult.